Sunday 22 February 2015

ndm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/17/spanish-politicians-turn-to-social-media-in-pursuit-of-lost-voters

Spanish politicians try to woo voters over WhatsApp

This article is about how the Spanish politicians tried to gain votes using the social smartphone app 'Whatsapp' as many people use this it is a good way to get their attention.
 
  • “It’s been about a month since we went around giving every resident my phone number,” said Gutiérrez Iglesias, who has headed the small town of about 10,000 people since 2011. After taking to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, WhatsApp – a smartphone application that allows users to send and receive free texts to anyone in their contact list – felt like the final frontier, he said.
  • Since launching the campaign “Call me or write [to] me on my phone!”, he checks the app on his phone at all hours, responding to most messages within minutes. Messages stream in all day; from as early as 6am and sometimes until 1am.
  • Initially Gutiérrez Iglesias was a little nervous about the idea: “I was sure I would get a lot of prank calls.” While he has yet to receive one, “I’m sure that I’ll receive some at some point,” he said.
  • Spanish politicians’ embrace of WhatsApp has been driven by necessity, said Antoni Gutiérrez-Rubí, a communication consultant, as WhatsApp has made it’s way on to 99% of the phones in Spain the past four years. “There’s nothing else like it. It has colonised messaging,”
This is an interesting yet odd idea to gain supporters, however it has seemed to work, and I believe the use of technology is soaring nowadays as its used for everything.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment